Sunday, May 3, 2015

Things Europe Taught Me

Since my time here in Florence is coming to an end, I've been thinking a lot about what being abroad has taught me and everything that I have done. It is such a bitter sweet thing, I am SO excited to go home and hug my family & friends and meet my puppy, but to know I may not be back here for a while makes me pretty sad. This experience has been just so amazing- I can't begin to say how lucky and blessed I feel to have had this opportunity. I have traveled the world to these beautiful places, learned a lot, and have made friendships with people that I don't know how I've lived without them for 21 years! :)

Now, I have learned a lot here in my classes and what not but these are some of the things that I have learned either the hard way,on my own, or things that people have brought to my attention:)

1. Every pizza is a personal pizza if you try hard and believe in yourself. 
    There have been many times in the U.S. where I've felt like I could eat a whole pizza, but always stop after a couple pieces. Here in Italy, you order a pizza and they do not cut it for you- so you take the special pizza knife and cut your own slices any size you want. Then, they normally do not have take away boxes.. so you are pretty much forced to learn how to eat an entire pizza. They are different though because at home, the crust on the bottom of the pizza is thick as well as the crust around the edge, here the bottom is super thin and then is not much on the top. :)

2. The more places I go, the more I realize how big the world is.
     I have traveled quite a few places while here, and still haven't seen half of the world. Now that Ive seen just these small parts I can't wait to see what else is out there and am really interested in learning about different cultures and everything these places have to offer- its really amazing to think about. Also, being abroad has changes my perspective on where I come from and not just wanting to travel the world- but the U.S. in general. There are so many states and things I haven't seen or been too like the Grand Canyon or Hollywood that people are shocked to hear that I am from America and have not been to these places..

3.You have to mentally prepare to go grocery shopping-
  Grocery shopping here has been one of the major stressors in my life. I DREAD going there and I just want to be in and out. First of all they are small stores, so they get packed with people very easily. Italians don't shop in bulk, they will go to the grocery store every day to pick up what they need, so they really only need small stores- but not me.. I like to shop and get things for a couple weeks and I fill up my little shopping roller that my roommates and I bought and get pretty mean looks when I go to check out. But I would rather do that than go through the stressfulness that is the grocery store every single day. They also charge you for plastic bags, I know that happens some places in America but there have been a few times where I have to climb back up the 2 flights of stairs to get the shopping bags that I forgot.. I will also forever thank the baggers at Giant Eagle because they are lifesavers so that when you are trying to unload all your groceries and pay and pack them back up at the same time.

4.NEVER ORDER SALAD-
    You're in Europe.. Salads are only okay in America

5. Dressing for the season not the weather-
    Its March and 70 degrees, its still spring, you don't wear anything less than a raincoat and forget about showing your toes!
6.Being on time isn't a thing-
   Meeting time at 5:00 means leave wherever you are at at 5 and still be the first one there.
7. Lines?
   People are impatient.. thats all I have to say.
8. Its best to pretend Euros are Dollars-
    Its just best…

9. Europe is exhausting- 
    I have not felt completely rested since December and I blame it on Europe! No matter how long I sleep, what time I go to bed or where I sleep I am always tired. Maybe it has to do with all of the stairs I have to climb every single day but with that, also comes the power to sleep anywhere and during anything.. You don't really need complete darkness or silence after living next to the train station, thats for sure!

10. Dehydration- 
     Ive never felt as dehydrated in my life as Ive felt being here in Europe. Water is not free here.. and if you get it they usually bring a liter that you have to share with the rest of the table.. No such thing as tap water and if you ask you just get the weirdest looks, oh and forget about any ice in your drinks.. Sometimes a glass of wine is even cheaper than the bottle of water, but I won't complain about that :)

11.Always time for gelato and/or wine-
   Sometimes a glass of wine is cheaper than water, and gelato is everywhere.. always room!

12. Doing things you've never imagined you'll do-
    If you told me my freshman year of college.. no, even a year ago that I would spend a semester away from my family and in a completely different country and unable to come home every weekend, I would look at you like you were crazy. I think my decision to come here was a shock to most people because of the fact that I was always home. But for some reason, when this opportunity opened up to me I just had to do it. Applications were due,I think, 2 weeks after I thought I wanted to come. That was  probably a good thing, though, if I had too much time to think about it I might have chickened out:) A whole semester.. away from comfort.. away from normal.. away from my amazing family and friends.. what was I thinking?! Ha! No, as much as I have missed everyone terribly, I am SO glad I made the choice to come to Italy and take part in this amazing experience. I taught english to Italian students, I traveled with people that Ive only known for a short period of time and trusted them and myself to know how to navigate Paris or get from A to B.  Yes, me the girl that misses the exit EVERY TIME to get to Great Northern Mall was able to navigate the metro through Paris and get to airports by myself. Or go to a concert alone- or anywhere alone really.. I am proud of myself, I went out of my comfort zone and experienced something incredible.

I have learned so much more than this, there are so many cultural differences between here and home, someone I hope to take with me and others I don't mind leaving behind. Ha! But, there is nothing that I haven't done or anything about this trip that I regret, I am completely- overly content with my experiences here. I can't wait to come back to the USA and be able to share even more about my experience and remember what an amazing time Ive had while abroad:)




1 comment: