Wednesday, April 22, 2015

You Should Have Seen My Smiling Face :)

Another one of my life long dreams has come true, and that fact that it was during this wonderful trip of mine makes it that much more special- I got to see James Taylor in concert!

I had no idea that he was going to be in Florence, let alone on tour at all. I was checking my Facebook yesterday and saw someone post that they were going to see him that night and I immediately googled "James Taylor Florence Italy Concert" and sure enough he was a 20 minute drive away from me and the concert was starting in 2 hours. As I am looking this up, I texted my dad: "Dad! James Taylor is here is concert tonight" and his response "GO!".   Now, If you know my dad and I, this is a pretty typical move of us, always deciding to do things last minute and just hoping that when we get there with our half of a plan that it will work out:) Ha! We are known for our random/split decision trips to Pittsburgh to maybe get a ticket to see the Pirates or hope to find the guy that is selling his tickets on Craigslist before the game starts.. Anyway- I channeled my inner 'Dad and Natalie' and left my apartment and got in a taxi in hopes there would be a ticket with my name on it at the theater- and I got one! It was a lot cheaper than I thought and my seat was actually really close, I saw him and heard him perfectly. It was great- I was so lucky!

The concert started at 9, and I was in my seat waiting since 8:15 :) I didn't even mind that I was alone because the only people I would really want to see him with are in America so I was just fine!

I knew just about every song and I can thank my parents for that..Ha!

He opened with "Something In The Way She Moves" and I got chills right away, he talked about why he always likes to start with that song and its because that was kinda his starting song- he played it for Paul McCartney and George Harrison before he was signed with Apple Records- how cool is that!

Then he played some of his new songs because he is 66 years old and still making albums..just great! His newest album was made with the band he played with there, he had a pianist, bass player, drummer, electric guitar and 3 backup singers. (The one guy was from Cleveland!)

He also played some of my favorites, Fire and Rain, Carolina In My Mind, You've Got A Friend, Shower the People, How Sweet It Is, Mexico, Handy Man AND my absolute favorite Your Smiling Face:)




I had such a great time and can finally check this off of my bucket list- Im sure I will be singing his songs the rest of the time that I am here:)

No comments:

Post a Comment